San Lawrenz | |
Native Name Lang: | mt |
Settlement Type: | Local council |
Coordinates: | 36.055°N 14.2042°W |
Subdivision Type: | Country |
Subdivision Name: | ![]() |
Subdivision Type1: | Region |
Subdivision Name1: | Gozo Region |
Subdivision Type2: | District |
Subdivision Name2: | Gozo and Comino District |
Parts Type: | Borders |
Parts Style: | para |
P1: | Kerċem, Għarb |
Leader Title: | Mayor |
Leader Name: | Noel Formosa |
Leader Party: | PN |
Unit Pref: | Metric |
Area Total Km2: | 3.6 |
Population Total: | 748 |
Population As Of: | March 2014 |
Population Density Km2: | auto |
Population Demonym: | Lawrenzjan (m), Lawrenzjana (f), Lawrenzjani (pl) |
Timezone1: | CET |
Utc Offset1: | +1 |
Timezone1 Dst: | CEST |
Utc Offset1 Dst: | +2 |
Postal Code Type: | Postal code |
Postal Code: | SLZ |
Area Code Type: | Dialing code |
Area Code: | 356 |
Iso Code: | MT-50 |
Blank Name Sec1: | Patron saint |
Blank Info Sec1: | St. Lawrence |
Blank1 Name Sec1: | Day of festa |
Blank1 Info Sec1: | 10 August |
Website: | Official website |
San Lawrenz is an administrative unit of Malta, on the island of Gozo. Its name is derived from Lawrence of Rome who is the patron saint for the locality. It has a population of 748, as of March 2014.
The Dwejra nature reserve is administratively part of the town. Prominent in the reserve is the Fungus Rock, and formerly also the Azure Window landmark before its collapse on March 8, 2017.[1]
It is built on a plain surrounded by three hills, Għammar, Gelmus and Ta' Dbieġi. The latter, Ta' Dbieġi, rises 195 metres above sea level and is Gozo's highest point. In the limits of San Lawrenz, there is also the bay of Dwejra, known for its strange geological faults.
The village has retained its traditional and rural lifestyle.
San Lawrenz is one of two Gozitan villages that have taken their name from that of their patron saint. The other is the nearby hamlet of Santa Luċija, Gozo. San Lawrenz was established a parish on 15 March 1893. Before this date, the area was known as Ta' Ċangura. Most probably the site derived its name from a local family name or nickname. The date of origin of this area is not known. However the name Ta' Ċangura can be dated back to before the Siege of Gozo, that is, before July 1551.
Until San Lawrenz was declared a parish in 1893, it formed part of the neighbourhood of Għarb. However, as time went by the people of San Lawrenz started to form a separate community and as a result they wanted their own church. The foundation stone for this new church was laid and consecrated by the Bishop Peter Pace on 21 November 1886. The relic of Saint Lawrence was placed under this stone. Every villager participated in the building of the church.
The village feast of San Lawrenz is celebrated each year, in the warmest part of the Summer, namely around the first week of August.
There is one restaurant, the village shop and the local bar (run by the local football club to raise funds).
With a population of 748 people (as of March 2014),[2] it is the second least populated village on Gozo and third least in all of the Maltese Islands. The village's football team is called St. Lawrence Spurs.
See also: List of twin towns and sister cities in Malta.
San Lawrenz is twinned with:[3]